Friday, April 1, 2011

OF Slow Cookers...




Some people say that a slow cooker isn't technically "cooking". For those of us who have three kids, three dogs and three chickens (YES, Chickens...eggs anyone?) sometimes the crockpot is a savior. So, this is something that you can throw together in the morning or the night before, turn on low in the morning and have a GREAT dinner. I was originally thinking Chicken Caccitore - not realizing I had no chicken. But it turned out FABULOUS - stick with me! SO I cut up two green and red peppers, threw in five crushed garlic cloves, a pack of baby bella mushrooms, one large (huge actually - the size of a softball) onion, two large cans of stewed tomatoes, one can tomato paste, salt (SEA SALT ONLY PEOPLE, MUCH BETTER FOR YOU) fresh ground pepper, paprika and tiny bit of Old Bay (mixed spices with paprika that is NOT just for seafood). I go out to the fridge and, NO CHICKEN (I think our chickens snuck in and gave it a proper burial). So I spy a loin of pork. I throw it into the microwave to defrost and figure, what the hell? I took the loin, realized it was too small (did I mention my son is 6'3" at 15 yrs old, hubby is 6'5" and two other kids?) and grabbed some boneless pork ribs as well. Threw them all together and turned it on. I like to throw in cannellini beans, too - but the kids don't care for them. I put them aside and add them to some separately. WELL, can I tell you? AMAZING. The pork juices mixing with all of the italian ingredients came out fantastic. I made some whole grain pasta to put it on top of when I got home and the family LOVED it. It was a mix between caccitore and braciole. FABULOUS and easy! If you want to make it easier still - grab a pouch of McCormicks Slow Cooker Italian Herbed chicken seasoning and use that. DO NOT ADD salt to that as there is quite a bit in the package. Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment