Monday, January 24, 2011

Deep Fried Pickles w/Horseradish sauce


I saw this recipe on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives...YUM. HAD to make it. First of all, who doesn't like anything deep fried? Second, who doesn't like pickles? OK, so, some people don't like them I've heard (LIES AND SLANDER)....be that as it may - this is pretty simple and delicious.

5 or 6 large barrel (kosher dill or dill) pickles cut lengthwise into quarter spears
1 egg
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 (12-oz.) can beer
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 1/2 - 2 cups all-purpose flour
Peanut Oil (makes a big difference in taste)

1. Pat pickles dry with paper towels.
2. Whisk together egg and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl; add flour and salt, and whisk until pancake batter like consistency.
3. Use deep fryer or pour oil to a depth that will completely cover the pickle slice in a large heavy skillet or Dutch oven; heat over medium-high heat to 375°.
4. Dip pickle slices into batter, allowing excess batter to drip off. Fry pickles, in batches, 3 to 4 minutes or until golden. Drain and pat dry on paper towels; serve with horseradish sauce (below).


3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons chopped chives
1 garlic clove, minced
1 heaping tablespoon (or more) grated fresh horseradish root

(or prepared horseradish)
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt

1. Whisk together first 6 ingredients. Garnish, if desired with chives.

2 comments:

  1. I think you're ready for PickleFest in Rosendale, NY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend's sister lives in Tennessee and she called me from a restaraunt in Tennessee to tell me about the incredible fried pickles she was having. I am definately a chick that will travel for food so I was gonna go to Tennessee for fried pickles and to visit Elvis ofcourse but mostly for the pickles. LOL. Maybe I can make my own and save the airfare. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete