Saturday, January 8, 2011

Beef Wellington and Swiss Chard

I have been remiss in not posting anything sooner. As I was told "I'm STILL looking at a Reuben!" Sorry, and thanks for keeping me in check. So, over the holiday (HAPPY 2011!), I was flipping through the thousands of channels on TV and stumbled upon Two Fat Ladies cooking show. Remember them? Clarissa and Jennifer, motorcycle riding, heavy drinking, smokers who don't believe in cooking "light". Bless their hearts. Of course, one of them is dead, which is why the show is no more. BE NOT AFRAID! It wasn't the food, it was the smoking, which I can happily say, I've given up. Yay for me. Again, I digress. SO - Beef Wellington, I've been watching them make this on Hell's Kitchen a LOT. But when I saw the Fat Ladies, I figured I could do it. Don't be afraid...its not that difficult, especially my way. So, get a GOOD Filet of beef. Expensive, but worth it. Marinate it for at least two hours in some white wine vinegar, water (about half and half) celery, onion, carrot, garlic. Drain and pat dry. Chop up shallots (two medium) and small pkg of mushroom (portabella) - put in frying pan with a tiny bit of olive oil (so it won't burn) until browned - add 1/4 cup of red wine (dry) and two heaping tablespoons of foie gras (liver pate). NOW WAIT - before you say "ewww, liver" - it does NOT give you the taste you'd think. It is VERY good. You can use duck or goose or chicken liver pate, doesn't matter, personal taste. Stir that all together in the pan till most of the moisture is cooked away, set aside.

Here's the part that freaks people out - the puff pastry dough. You CAN make your own - I cheat and buy it right in the freezer section. Get a box with two "sheets" of dough. Lay the dough right on the cookie sheet or baking pan you are going to use after a quick spritz of non-stick spray. Spread a good amount of the mushroom mix on the center of the dough, then take the beef patted dry, place in center spread the cooled mushroom mix around the rest of the filet, sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Now, fold each side over (overlappin) and pinch it at both ends. Score the top of the dough to release steam. Brush with egg-wash. Bake in pre-heated 400 degree over for @ 20-25 minutes, the dough will be golden brown. The meat, rare. And, as the fat ladies said, if you want it well-done, "Don't bother cooking it a'tall"


The side for this is Swiss Chard. Very easy, cut the thicker, bottom ends of the stalks off, cook them first (leaves cook faster) put them in a hot skillet with olive oil, garlic and three anchovies chopped up or, a small teaspoon of anchovy paste - either way, no bones and it adds great flavor. Wait a few minutes until they are moist through, then add the leaves, stir, cover and remove from heat. The leaves will absorb the flavor.


Next up - classic baked chicken

No comments:

Post a Comment