Monday, July 19, 2010

Korean Noodles (Job-Chae)


I am always willing to try something new...well, when it comes to certain things...wink, wink. Most of my ideas I get from going different places (ya, real world traveler I am - NOT) and hearing people talk about what they had that they liked. Sometimes, I'll insinuate myself on a conversation just to ask about food. Though, this is not the case here. The ONE thing I do for myself is have my nails done every two to three weeks. I go to Water's Edge Spa on the Newburgh Waterfront. The ladies there are fantastic. AND, the great thing about this place is that it is right above The Blue Martini. Get there a few minutes early, go in and see the bartender, tell him you are going upstairs for a manicure (or whatever) and order a Kiwi/Lime Martini (they WILL bring this drink back by the time I'm done bugging them) Bring it upstairs with you and enjoy. They have a beautiful deck overlooking the hudson that you can sit on while waiting for your nails to dry/color to take/highlights to bake, etc. Or, sit and sip in the massage chair while getting a pedicure. Does it get any better than this? I think not. THAT and the ladies, again, wonderful! LOVE THEM. I digress (technically, I seem to get more like de-railed than sidetracked most of the time)...SO - one of the ladies working there and I were talking about my blog and food. She was telling me of a customer that wanted her to make this Noodle salad for her. I asked her to send me the recipe as I was going to my brother's house for a soiree (ummm - drinkfest) and I'd like to bring something different. Besides it sounded WONDERFUL. So, she tells me I probably won't find the Job Chae noodle (made with Sweet Potatoes - but don't let that fool you, it's a different taste you would NOT be able to guess, but awesome). I FOUND them...go figure, in a Filipino store. You know, not to sound racist here, but this is why it is particularly difficult for a layperson (i.e. me) to identify the different areas/regions of Asian/Filipino/etc. I go to this store, they have Chinese stuff/Filipino/Korean/Vietnamese/Japanese, etc. AND, here's the kicker, the guy behind the counter spoke spanish...Is it me? Again, de-railed...SO - here's the deal. And, Min, if you are reading this, YES, I gave it my own twist...sorry.


1 Bundle Job-Chae Noodles (it's a lot)

1 1/2 lbs Thinly sliced marinated beef (I used sirloin marinated overnight in teriyaki sauce)

2 carrots sliced lenghtwise, thin

1 Large Onion (I chose Vidalia) thinly sliced

1 1/2 pounds fresh spinach

1 small package Mushrooms

Soy Sauce, Sesame Oil, Olive Oil, Chopped Garlic, Ginger, Sugar, Salt, Pepper


Mix sliced beef with garlic (2 teaspoons), sugar (1 tsp) Ginger (1/4 tsp) Sesame Oil (2 tsp) salt and pepper, stir fry till mostly cooked through (cooks quickly when sliced thin) and set aside.


Stir fry Onion, carrots and mushrooms in olive oil alone, set aside, drain.


Boil water and add spinach. Cook JUST until it wilts, remove from water, immediately run under cold water, drain, (squish out all the excess water) season with salt, little garlic, sesame oil - set aside.


Cook noodles in boiling water 6-7 minutes, drain and RINSE WELL. They almost feel "rubbery" and are usually clear, leaving the water a nasty gray color. Don't ask, just trust me...


Add meat back to frying pan, then toss noodles in with 2 tbsp sesame oil, 1 tsp olive oil, 2 tbsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp garlic, salt and pepper and a little more ginger (depending on your taste). Continue to toss/move around pan until the noodles absorb the sauce and become brown. Use cooking shears to cut the noodles as they are VERY long...


Finally, toss all ingredients together in a large bowl using gloves (don't forget to rinse that powdery stuff off) taste the noodles. You may prefer a little more garlic, salt, pepper, etc. I added sesame seeds at the end with shaved carrots on top for presentation. It was a HUGE hit...I did leave one thing out.


The original recipe calls for 2 eggs beaten, mixed with 1 tsp of corn starch and water. You fry it, crepe style, turn it once, then - when cooled, slice thin and add to the top of the noodles. I didn't do this...up to you.


SO - I don't know if it was the alchohol, but I got a TON of compliments on this dish. Thank you, Min...I appreciate it. I feel we'll be talking a LOT, especially since both our husbands are crazy enough to have built chicken coops and get chickens...both insane about self-sufficiency...THAT - for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment