Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Loaf of Meat

Right...EVERYONE's had it, EVERYONE makes it. But is it EVER the same? I think not. Meatloaf, to me, is more like "kitchen-sink-loaf". I throw everything in. There are your basic ingredients that go in every single time. Ground Pork, veal and beef. Breadcrumbs (italian seasoned and fine...panko breadcrumbs are GREAT, but not in meatloaf..) Egg. Salt. Pepper. Onion (either powder or chopped onion). Garlic (fresh or powder, depending on how lazy I am). These are the standards. Last night, the bastard ingredients consisted of Three tablespoons of the following: Heinz 57, Horseradish sauce, BBQ sauce and Dijon mustard. I then liberally added shredded Asiago, Parmesan and Romano cheeses. Now, I'm not a big prissy baby...but one thing I can NOT do is smush (yes it's a word, damnit) up the meat/ingredients with bare hands. Freaks me out...and ruins a good manicure. Picture using a toothpick to remove raw meat from under a nail...GROSS. So, I wear surgical gloves*. I smush it all together, form an "eggish" shaped loaf, and pop it into the oven. Last night, I threw four sweet italian sausages in the pan so the drippings would add to the flavor. Also, a little adobo sprinkled on top this time made it AWESOME. So, next time you have more condiments than bare bones ingredients, do the loaf. It can't come out bad....

*wash the gloves first with soap and water, they have yucky powdery stuff on them...

No comments:

Post a Comment